Kale has been a hot topic for a while now. Health gurus want you to practically bathe in it. It’s like okay, we get it, it’s good for you! And it is. But I was never (and I’m still not) THAT into it. I know. Sue me.
But then one day I wandered into Plum Market in Old Town, Chicago and peeked around their salad bar. Nothing poked out at me except for this amazing looking kale salad- which they call California Kale Slaw. The ingredients are super minimal BUT there was one problem, it was made with canola oil. I know. The travesty. So, what’s a girl to do besides re-create it herself? 🙂
Not saying that I would NEVER eat Plum’s version again because, this is real life right? But this version is JUST as good (promise!) and MUCH more cost-effective. Win Win!
This Cali Kale Salad is also perfect for meal prep- in fact, it’s even better as it sits in the fridge! I love adding grilled chicken + pistachios on top for a quick, nutrient dense meal. It’s also amazing straight outta the tupperware. So grab a fork and chow down!
Cali Kale Salad
vegan, gluten free, grain free, dairy free
- About 8 cups of kale (just cut the stems off)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1- 8oz bag of shredded purple cabbage
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 3-4 tablespoons dijon mustard
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 20 drops liquid stevia (optional)
- Sea salt + pepper to taste (yes, taste as ya go!)
- Cut/peel all the stems off of your kale and put it into a LARGE mixing bowl
- Add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, + dijon mustard into the bowl and massage the kale with your hands for a minute or two until it’s soft
- Add in the cabbage+carrots and massage some more (yes, you’re going to get up close and personal with this salad)
- Add on the honey, stevia, lemon, sea salt, + pepper and mix until everything is coated. Taste as you go and make sure there’s enough honey + sea salt for your liking
- Eat right away and store the rest in the fridge for a few days (It’s way better when you let it sit in the fridge overnight-SUH GOOD)